History of the College
The College of Science was established in 1926 as the College of Liberal Arts. It initially offered four-year programs for Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees and two-year courses in Preparatory Law and Preparatory Medicine. Through the succeeding years, it expanded its offerings in response to the needs of national development and introduced innovative degree programs including Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (1931), Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology (1941), Bachelor of Science major in Zoology (1947), Bachelor of Science major in Psychology (1948), and Bachelor of Science major in Mathematics and Physics (1952).
In 1964, the College of Liberal Arts was transformed into the College of Science, after ceding the Bachelor of Arts program to the Faculty of Arts and Letters. Thereafter, all programs offered by the College focused only on science and mathematics. Ever sensitive to the demands of national growth, the college initiated new programs including B.S. (General) (1964), B.S. Mathematics (1966), B.S. Mathematics major in Actuarial Science (1974), B.S. Biology (1978), B.S. Microbiology (1979), B.S. Computer Science (1984), B.S. Information Technology and B.S. Information Management (1999), and B.S. Applied Physics major in Instrumentation(2002). In 2003, the Computer Science, Information technology and Information Management programs were transferred to the Faculty of Engineering. In the year 2009, a shift from theoretical to applied mathematics was implemented with the realignment of B.S. Mathematics major in Actuarial Science to B.S. Applied Mathematics major in Actuarial Science.
Excellence in science education and research has been a byword of the UST-College of Science. The College has been awarded by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA) a Level 4 accredited status on September 5, 2011.The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) has recognized the BS Chemistry program as a Center of Excellence in Chemistry since 1997. The BS Biology program received distinctions as a Center of Development from 1998 to 2010 and Center of Excellence in Biology in 2010 while the BS Psychology program was declared Center of Development in 2012.