B. S. Chemistry
Chemistry, the central science
Chemistry is an exciting and diverse discipline which plays essential roles in the emerging science and technology of the 21st century. At UST, the Chemistry program means a great opportunity for advancement and skilled proficiency in the field. It provides the students with modern facilities to secure an outstanding curricular and practical training.
The Chemistry curriculum is designed to meet the needs of students in their preparation for graduate school in chemistry or a related field, medical school, or allied health profession offered at the university or abroad. The program aims at building a strong analytical and technical background for employment in a variety of fields including pharmaceutical and other industries.
UST’s major program in Chemistry is recognized as: Center of Excellence by CHED and Level III-accredited by PACUCOA
A graduate of Chemistry can enter into a variety of fulfilling and rewarding careers in different fields as follows:
Major Career Tracks:
- Research chemist
- Plant supervisor
- Corporate executive
- Doctor of Medicine
- Technical writer
- Sales representative
- Polymer chemistry
- Forensic chemistry
The Department of Chemistry has established a number of key facilities that greatly enhance student learning and research capabilities.
- multimedia-equipped lecture rooms
- modern teaching laboratories for chemistry and other science majors
- instrumental analysis laboratory with major instrumentation systems
- Liquid and Gas Chromatographs
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometer
- UV-VIS Spectrophotomters
- Polarimeter, etc
- Research Center for the Natural Sciences research laboratories with advanced analytical and biochemistry instrumentation
The academic staff of the department is dedicated to provide students with the opportunity to learn principles and skills in the ever-expanding field of chemistry through education, research, and community service.
- postgraduate degree holders (master's and doctor's degrees obtained from prestigious universities here and abroad)
- officers and members of international and national professional organizations
- recipients of national and international awards
- consultants of government agencies