MICROBIOLOGY: Seeing the unseen
Microbiology or the study of microorganisms is a unique yet broadly encompassing field of scientific discipline that investigates the unseen life forms. It constantly tackles and defies conventional wisdom on infectious diseases, discovery of antibiotics, development of vaccines, commercial fermentations and food production, environmental preservation, bioremediation and wastewater treatment. It further looks into the unconventional microbial involvements in energy generation, restoration of art works and to as far as the outer space. The broad scope of the field reflects the limitless career options for a graduate of microbiology. The need for formal academic training has become more challenging and urgently needed to fulfill the pressing demands of the Filipino society.
Program overviewThe University of Santo Tomas is the only university in the Philippines that offers Bachelor of Science degree program in microbiology.
This is undertaken by the Department of Biological Sciences under the College of Science. The Bachelor of Science in Microbiology (B.Sc. Micro.) is a four-year program that gives a solid working knowledge and skills in three (3) areas:
- Environmental Microbiology
- Medical Microbiology
- Industrial Microbiology
The course offerings guarantee a sound and balanced training with added On-the-Job Training (OJT) scheme in these areas to cater the food and manufacturing industries, environmental endeavors and adequate preparation for the medical school. This is also enriched by three-semester seminar on scientific enquiry on topics in microbiology.
Our graduates of microbiology constitute the largest pool of this specialized skilled manpower in the job market. They are currently employed as:
- Quality Assurance Analysts
- Quallty Inspection Auditors
- Food Quality Specialists
- Food Safety Managers
- Science Research Specialists
- Infectious Disease Researchers
Majority of new graduates still opt to further their study for the medical degree. A rare few remain in the academe pursuing teaching and research pursuits.
The strength of the undergraduate program lies in its academic staff. Aside from having a devoted and research-oriented faculty members, they are :
- postgraduate degree holders (Degrees are obtained not only from the Philippines but also overseas such as National University of Singapore, University of Goettingen, Technical University of Braunschweig to name a few.)
- officers of national professional organizations, namely: the Philippine Society for Microbiology, Philippine Network of Microbial Culture Collections, etc.
- members of the American Society for Microbiology
- recipients of national and international recognitions
- diplomates by the Philippine Academy of Microbiology
- Young Inventor’s Award from Far Eastern, Economic Review, Hewlett-Packard Invent Award and Tom Bergan Memorial Award from the International Society for Chemotherapy
A quality learning environment is assured among The Bachelor of Science in Microbiology students by providing them with:
- Large Microbiology Laboratory with standard bio-safety level 1 features
- Bio-safety Cabinet (BSC) Class I and Class IIA
- Bidirectional and Rotary shaking equipments
- Horizontal and vertical gel electrophoresis systems
- Research Microscope, Homogenizer, Incubator
- Anaerobic Cultivation Chambers, Convection oven
- Large-scale gravimetric autoclaves, Ultra-low freezer
- An equipped student research laboratory designed for scientific investigations.