Guidance & Counseling
Guidance and Counseling Department
Discover More… Do More… Be More…
We envision the Guidance and Counseling Department as an integral part of the University of Santo Tomas Student Services, providing comprehensive and developmental programs, carefully designed and systematically implemented by professional and compassionate counselors.
The University of Santo Tomas Guidance and Counseling Department aligns itself with the University’s mission in assisting students in the process of understanding themselves and the environment to promote and enhance the learning process as they strengthen work skills, and attitudes in preparation for their various life roles.
Through the implementation of the Guidance Program, students are guided in making enlightened ethical decisions, becoming responsive to the needs of others, developing social responsibility and initiative to effect a positive change in the immediate environment.
The Guidance Counselors
This service is the heart of the department. It allows you to gain a better understanding of yourself and to open yourself to other options, empowering you to make informed decisions to improve your way of life.
This service provides you with the necessary information to deal effectively with everyday obstacles and challenges. Information about knowing yourself and others better and the opportunities that will help you make responsible decisions are readily available at the Guidance Office.
Appraisal/ Testing Service
Explore your personality, strengths and weaknesses, interests and abilities by taking the different psychological tests we have at the department.
The department is concerned with the progress you make in school. This service is dedicated to encouraging you to perform well and meet the requirements of your program. Students in the dean’s list, scholars, and those with academic deficiencies are called-in by the counselors to track their progress and to assist them in their concerns.
Career Development and Placement
Give your career plans an early start. See your counselors to have a picture of the opportunities and the skills you need to make informed choices in preparing for life in the world of work. Match your skills, interests and personality to the courses available to reap the maximum benefits that the university can offer.
Research and Evaluation
Knowing your needs for which the services are designed is vital to the proper implementation of the department’s services. Likewise, how these services are carried-out is also gauged by the department to seek areas of improvement. These functions aim to give you quality service.
- Peer Facilitators’ Training Program
- Career Seminar (CarSem) for Graduating Students
- Leadership Training Seminars in collaboration with the College of Science Student Council
- Seminar for Irregular Students in collaboration with the different Societies of the College of Science
- Freshmen Parents’ Orientation
- College 101 Seminar for Freshmen in collaboration with the different Societies of the College of Science
- College of Science Guidance Office: Between the Psychology Department and Room 313, 3rd Floor, Main Building, UST
- Guidance Center: Rm. 204, 2nd Floor Health Service Building, UST
- Science Guidance Office: 406-1611 loc. 8401
- Guidance Center: 406-1611 loc. 8212/ 740-9720
- Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 12:00nn and 1:00pm to 5:00pm